- The regular season begins on Friday March 16 when two matches, including the home opener for Rio Grande Valley FC (RGV FC), will be played.
- USL play begins a week earlier than last year and will run until Sunday, October 14…a span of 31 weeks and 561 matches among 33 teams; 81 more total games than last year
- The quarterfinal rounds of the Eastern and Western Conference playoffs will begin on October 19. USL Cup will be played sometime between November 8-12, presumably at home of the finalist with the best regular season record.
- Each team will play a 34 game schedule, two more than last season. There do not appear to be any inter-conference matches scheduled this year.
The entire 2018 RGV FC schedule is in the link below:
RGV FC opens at home on March 16 against St. Louis FC at H-E-B Park Stadium in Edinburg.
The club will play the other 16 Western Conference teams at least once home and away (32 games).
The remaining 2 games on the schedule are played against selected Western Conference opponents. The Toros will play a second home match against SAFC and also away at Colorado Springs Switchbacks.
Longest Home Stretch:
- 3 games-March 16-31 to open the season against St. Louis/Reno/Sacramento
- 3 games-May 12-23 against SAFC/Swope Park/Los Angeles
Longest Road Stretch: 3 games-April 7-18 against Colorado Springs/Seattle/Portland
Weeknight games: Home (5): 4 Wednesday-1 Friday (opener) Away (6): 1 Monday-5 Wednesday
Most challenging travel schedule:
- Any travel schedule RGV FC has in 2018 will be better than the ridiculous stretch they had last year where they played 7 of 9 on the road between June 21st and August 6th. This stretch included three separate trips to the West Coast and 4 mid-week games. The schedule compression was partially a result of the extended home stand the Toros had earlier in the season that for some reason contained three 10+ day breaks in RGVFC’s schedule. During that stretch the Toros finished 2-5-2, including three ugly 4 goal losses and a defeat at Portland, winners of only three games all year.
- Between April 7th and May 9th this upcoming season, the Toros will play 4 of 5 on the road, including 3 games on the West Coast. They then return from Fresno to play their first Derby game against San Antonio FC three days later on short rest.
- Three of the final four matches are on the road, including a second consecutive season finale in San Antonio.
Additional Schedule Notes:
- The Texas Derby matches against San Antonio FC are Saturday, May 12 and Wednesday, August 29 at home and Saturday, October 13th on the road to close the regular season.
- Rio Grande Valley FC has never participated in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. There is no indication this will change in 2018 as many Toros players participated in Houston Dynamo Open Cup matches on short-term loan agreements in both 2016 and last year.