Major League Soccer (MLS):
FC Dallas vs. Toronto FC
Toyota Field-Dallas-7:00 p.m., CDT, Saturday, July 1, 2017
- This game is clearly the best in MLS this week. Unfortunately, both sides will be missing key pieces due to international duty….FC Dallas starters Matt Hedges and Kellyn Acosta will not be available. Toronto FC will have U.S. Internationals Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley on the game day roster, however, because they were not included in the group-stage U.S. roster for the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
- FC Dallas has never lost a home game to Toronto (6-0-2). This is a much better Toronto team then when they last played in Dallas two years ago.
- Toronto FC after winning the Canadian Championship Wednesday is interested in more trophies: “We want to win every trophy; compete for every competition we’re in,” Michael Bradley said after that win. “At the end of the year we want to be the team that has held up the best, won the most, competed the hardest, and won the trophies. We got our first chance tonight.”
Colorado Rapids vs. Houston Dynamo
Dick’s Sporting Goods Park-Commerce City, CO-8:00 p.m, CDT, Saturday, July 1, 2017
- Both teams are licking their wounds after being knocked out of the U.S. Open Cup midweek. The Rapids lost 3 starters to injuries in its loss in Dallas and it is unclear if any of these players will be available Saturday night. Midfielder Michael Azira will miss the match due to card accumulation.
- Colorado is a good home team at altitude (5-3-1) and have won 3 out of their last 4 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Stadium after a miserable start to the season. Colorado has lost just one of its last 13 regular season meetings against Houston (7-1-5).
- A very frightening statistic for Dynamo fans…..Houston has only won twice in their last 33 regular season MLS away games (2-21-10).
- The Dynamo played a reserve roster in the Open Cup loss to Sporting Kansas City Wednesday. Wilmer Cabrera said this was on purpose and demonstrated where his priorities lie in a post-game interview : “If we didn’t play the first team [on Wednesday], it’s because we have the goal to work to try and get to the playoffs,” Cabrera noted after Wednesday’s Open Cup loss.
United Soccer League (USL):
Colorado Springs Switchbacks vs. Rio Grande Valley FC (RGV FC)
Weidner Field-Colorado Springs, CO-9:00 p.m., CDT, Saturday, July 1, 2017
- How will the Toros respond to the 6-2 shellacking they took 9 days ago in Sacramento against a Switchbacks side that is riding high after handing SAFC their first loss of the season?
- Three of the Toros players, including Charlie Ward who signed an MLS contract today with the Dynamo, played in Houston’s 2-0 loss to Sporting KC in the USOC Wednesday night.
- Colorado Springs dangerous left-back Josh Suggs, who tormented SAFC and seemingly spent the entire night playing as a winger last weekend, is suspended for the match due to yellow card accumulation.
Sacramento United vs. San Antonio FC (SAFC)
Papa Murphy’s Park-Sacramento, CA-10:00 p.m., CDT, Saturday, July 1, 2017
- How will young goalkeeper Lee Johnston handle his first start, likely replacing Diego Restrepo who received a red card ejection against Colorado Springs last week?
- Sacramento United, nearing the end of a string of multiple-game weeks, will likely rotate the squad this weekend after the loss to LA Galaxy in the U.S. Open Cup Wednesday night.
- After defeating the Galaxy’s USL team last weekend, the Union have now won three consecutive league matches. Since the club changed its tactical approach a few weeks ago, the offense has awoken. Forward Trevin Caesar has scored four goals in the last two games.