Other news of interest in Texas Soccer this week:
Major League Soccer (MLS):
Bleacher Report’s Noah Davis wrote an excellent long-form piece on former Dynamo defender/midfielder and sometimes forward Geoff Cameron. He used the word “unheralded” to describe Cameron’s arrival in Houston and that is true. He joined the team as a third round MLS Super Draft choice in 2008 and in this article Dynamo head coach at the time, Dominic Kinnear, admitted about Cameron’s pick “It was a gamble” . It didn’t take Dynamo supporters long to consider him heralded. He scored on his home debut against FC Dallas and was in the starting lineup for the second-leg of a CONCACAF Champions Cup match (predecessor to the current CCL) in Costa Rica early in his rookie season. Now he is one of the top American exports to the English Premier League.
The link to the story is below: (bleacherreport.com)
CONCACAF Gold Cup:
- The biennial CONCACAF Gold Cup will be held in the United States from July 7-26. The U.S. submitted a provisional 40 man roster to the Confederation last week…this roster needs to be reduced to 23 by June 27th. Players from Texas teams, or those that are Texas-natives, named to the preliminary roster include:
Defenders: Greg Garza (Atlanta United), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca, Mexico), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas)
Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas)
Goalkeeper: Jesse Gonzalez (FC Dallas)
U.S. born Gonzalez had previously announced his intention to play for Mexico, since he is a dual-national and has represented Mexico in youth tournaments. According to an article on mlssoccer.com, Fox Sports analyst and former Houston Dynamo Stuart Holden reported that he had recently spoken to Gonzalez’s agent, who said Gonzalez would accept the call if he is selected for the US 23-man roster for the Gold Cup. (mlssoccer.com)
- Other CONCACAF counties also released their provisional rosters. Players with current Texas connections include: (mlssoccer.com)
Canada: Tesho Akindele (FC Dallas)
Honduras: Maynor Figueroa (FC Dallas), Alberth Elis, Boniek Garcia and Rommel Quioto (Houston Dynamo)
Mexico: Erick Torres (Houston Dynamo)
Panama: Adolfo Machado (Houston Dynamo)
- The CONCACAF website featured an interview with former Dynamo legend Dwayne DeRosario who played for Canada in five Gold Cups before his retirement in 2015. Here is a link to the interview: (concacaf.com)
National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL):
The Houston Dash were held scoreless for the second consecutive week, losing 2-0 to the Washington Spirit at the Maryland SoccerPlex last Saturday. Though held scoreless, the Dash forced eight saves from the Spirit goalkeeper. With the loss, the Dash fell into last place in the league (2-6-0 and 6 points from 8 games). The Dash now have a week off before their next match against Orlando on June 17th. It is likely that a new permanent coach will be named at some point during the break, to replace Randy Waldrum who was fired two weeks ago. (houstondynamo.com)
United States Youth National Teams:
Youth Soccer Development:
The U.S. Soccer Development Academy playoffs will take place June 22-26 in Westfield, Indiana (a suburb of Indianapolis). The Academy conducted its 2016-17 Playoff draw on Wednesday, with the qualified U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams drawn into eight groups of four teams each.
- FC Dallas, the defending champions at both age levels, was one of 23 club programs to qualify teams for the 2017 playoffs at both age levels. At the lower age level, FCD has been grouped with Crew SC Academy Wolves, New York City FC and Baltimore Armour. The older group will face New York Red Bulls, Seattle Sounders FC and Beachside Soccer Club in the group Stage. The game against Red Bulls will be one of the marquee match-ups of the group stage.
- The Houston Dynamo qualified a team at the U 15/16 level and face an all MLS group stage bracket, the first time this has happened in the Academy playoffs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC, LA Galaxy, Philadelphia Union join the Dynamo in what will certainly be a challenging group.
Further details can be found in the link below: (ussoccer.com)